1. Do not wash the mushrooms, but peel them or clean them with a damp paper towel.
2. Remove the stems and chop the mushrooms into ½-inch cubes.
3. Toss the diced mushrooms with the extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Marinate for 30 minutes while preparing the raw noodles and pasta sauce.
Zucchini pasta noodles
8 small zucchinis
2 tsp sea salt
1. Peel the zucchinis. Use either a mandolin to create spaghetti-type noodles or a carrot peeler to make linguine-type noodles.
2. Remove excess water from the zucchini noodles by soaking them for 15 minutes in a large bowl with filtered water and sea salt.
3. Drain the noodles, and rinse well with more filtered water.
4. Run through a salad spinner until completely dry. Serve with creamy Alfredo sauce (see recipe) or your favorite raw pasta sauce.
• For making noodles, small zucchinis work better than large ones.
• These healthy raw noodles go well with Western and Asian raw food dishes.
Creamy Alfredo Sauce
1 cup cashews
½ cup water
½ lemon, juiced
3 cloves garlic
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
½ tsp sea salt (or to taste)
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
½ Tbsp raw agave syrup or 1 Tbsp coco sugar
basil leaves for garnish (optional)
1. Soak the cashew nuts first in water for 20 minutes. Drain and transfer into the blender.
2. Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
3. Toss with the zucchini pasta noodles and marinated mushrooms. Garnish with basil and sprinkle with more nutritional yeast for an extra cheesy flavor.
4. Optional: You can warm the plated pasta at 115°F in a dehydrator for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Serves five to six
Mona Lisa Neuboeck is a certified raw food chef and health educator. She apprenticed under Elaina Love who trains raw food chefs at the raw food academy, Living Light Culinary Art institute in Fort Bragg, California. After acquiring her raw chef certification, Neuboeck attended a course with Rabbi Gabriel Cousens, M.D., founder and director of the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center in Patagonia, Arizona. Neuboeck offers raw food education lectures and raw food preparation classes, and is currently conducting raw food workshops at Sugarleaf Makati MEDICard Lifestyle Center, 51 Paseo de Roxas corner Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue, Urdaneta Village, Makati City. Her next workshop, “Raw Holiday Feast” is on November 17. Email her at email@example.com, and add her on Facebook: Mona Lisa Raw.
For more of these exclusive recipes, get a copy of the October issue of HealthToday magazine, out now in newsstands and bookstores.